See Ian’s submissions in the Member Composers Repertoire resource.
Apple Tree Music is the home of Ian Assersohn’s compositions and arrangements.
Ian is a British composer, arranger, workshop leader and choral director whose works are widely performed, both in the UK and abroad.
Noted for its appealing melodic and harmonic invention, careful structuring and skilful and original setting of texts, Ian’s music has been described as, by turns, beautiful and haunting, or energetic and rhythmical. Ian’s approachable style is enjoyed by performers and audiences alike.
Ian’s works are published by OUP and Novello, among others, or self-published under the Apple Tree Music label. They also appear in a number of anthologies including The Oxford Book Of Easy Flexible Anthems, The Novello Book of British Folksongs and The Oxford Book of Flexible Choral Songs.
Ian is always happy to discuss commissions for all types of group.
New in 2021
- Sleep Softly Now (SATB unaccompanied) – a setting of a Mediaeval carol, newly published by OUP
- After (SATB and piano or organ) – an uplifting song about recovering from the bad times. Commissioned by Swan Singers. Published by Apple Tree Music.
- A Thousand Years (SATB unaccompanied) – a haunting setting of an 8th century Japanese poem.
Coming Soon from OUP
- Sha! Shtil! (CCBar and piano) – an arrangement of a Yiddish folksong.
In support of choirs struggling to get back on their feet, a dozen of the pieces published on the Apple Tree Music site are currently being offered free of charge. Choirs are welcome to print and duplicate these works.
The works on the list are:
- Adlestrop (SATB unaccompanied)
- A Thousand Years (SATB unaccompanied)
- Consolation (SATB or CCBar, and piano)
- Come Down O Love Divine (SATB or SAB, and piano)
- Do Not Stand at My Grave and Weep (SATB unaccompanied)
- Gullfoss (SATB unaccompanied)
- Inversnaid (SATB or SABar, and piano) – new for 2021
- Love is Come Again (SSATB unaccompanied)
- My True Love (SATB or SSA, and piano)
- O Death! Rocke Me Asleep (Soprano solo, SATB and piano)
- The Rook Ascending (Solo voice, SATB, SSA, or 2-part mixed voices, and piano)
- We Cannot Stop Singing (SATB and piano)
CC4H – Choral Composer For Hire
The pandemic has been a tough time for choral composers. To help encourage the commissioning of new music by choirs, Ian has recently created a new listing site.
CC4H – Choral Composers For Hire is a free listing site containing details of choral composers from the UK and Ireland who can be commissioned. There are currently 22 composers who have self-listed, and the site is growing all the time.
What they say
We all think that the music is wonderful. Your music is making rehearsals a pleasure. I cannot tell you how grateful I am to have found some deep-thinking secular music of such beauty.Thomas Lydon
An unqualified success. The children, The Bach Choir and all the instrumentalists have all expressed total enthusiasm about the work.David Hill
His setting of texts is outstanding as is his use of harmonic colour. Singers and directors alike are equally attracted to his compositional style.Amy Bebbington
A masterpiece, with so much to offer in its drama, its accessibility, its vivid portrayal of what lies behind the poetry, and its sheer beauty/Dorking Advertiser
The words capture the moment perfectly and I think the piece is incredibly moving.Tricia Rees-Jones